Our humble beginnings go back to 1940 and several men which included Harry a. Schutt, Clinton J. Phare, William Cox, Ralph Drews and Dan O’Connell. They, along with other interested persons, decided a yacht club was needed at the eastern end of greater Cleveland. The idea was to moor by Euclid Park at the end of E. 222 Street. They solicited interested persons through penny postcards mailed to owners of small craft registered with the Coast Guard. The response was greater than anticipated. Clarence Baldwin received three different cards and decided to attend a meeting to “find out what was going on”. Discussion focused on being unable to protect boats on the open lake in Euclid; therefore, they needed another location. About this time the Harkness Estate, westward from the natural mouth of the Chagrin River, became available. The estate was comprised of a number of buildings, many on a hilltop overlooking a lagoon once used for boat anchorage. Young men of the 1930’s recall rowing their canoes down river to traverse the hill to visit a girls’ camp located there. University hospitals of Cleveland was the underlying owner, and Clinton Phare was chosen to negotiate an option to purchase the property.
Boat building, design, and repair resource with boat plans, boatbuilding books, discussion forums, feature articles and boat design reviews.
CrewSearcher: finding sailing, cruising, racing crews, deckhands and crew members for all owners, captains, skippers, yachts, sailboats, charter and boating needs.
The official site for James Wharram Designs – home of polynesian catamarans