Image from page 34 of “The standard guide” (1896)
Image from page 34 of “The standard guide” (1896) by Internet Archive Book Images
Title: The standard guide
Year: 1896 (1890s)
Authors: Reynolds, Charles B. (Charles Bingham), 1856-1940
Publisher: St. Augustine, Fla.
Contributing Library: The Library of Congress
Digitizing Sponsor: Sloan Foundation
Click here to view book online to see this illustration in context in a browseable online version of this book.
Text Appearing Before Image:
LINCER AS CHERISHED LANDMARKS. When the sunset gun was fired, the bridge was raised, the gate was barred,and the guards took their station. Through the hours of the night—from fort togate, from gate west along the parapet to redoubt Tolomato, from Tolomato toredoubt Centro, from Centro to redoubt Cubo on the San Sabastian; thence alongthe river to the farthest battery, and east to the extreme point of the peninsula; thennorth, past powder-house and barracks, on to the plaza, and so back to the watch towersof the fort again—went the challenge, Centiiicia alerta ! and came the answer, Alertaestd! When once the gate was closed, the belated wayfarer, be he citizen or stranger,must make the best of it without the town until morning. Only on extraordinaryoccasions were the bolts thrown back at night, as when some messenger might comewith urgent dispatches for the Governor.—Old St. Augustine. THE PLAZA.
Text Appearing After Image:
PLEASING bit of greensward in tlie center of the town is thePlaza. It is a public park of shrubber}- and shade trees, withmonuments and fountains, an antiquated market place invit-ing one to loiter, and an outlook to the east over the bayand Anastasia Island to the sails of ships at sea. All this isthe more charming to those who remember the Plaza—notso many years ago—when it was an unshaded, unkempt, un-inviting waste of scanty turf and blowing sand. Long beforethose days it had been beautiful with orange trees, whosewonderful size and fruitfulness are yet among the towns tradi-tions. The square is diminutive, but it is unconsciously mag-nified because of the contrast to the narrow streets whence one emerges upon itsstretch of greensward. The open structure on the east end of the Plaza is commonly pointed out as theold slave pen, or slave market, and it is sometimes alleged to have been ofSpanish origin. It never was used as a slave pen, nor as a slave market, norhad the Spaniard
Note About Images
Please note that these images are extracted from scanned page images that may have been digitally enhanced for readability – coloration and appearance of these illustrations may not perfectly resemble the original work.