Port Hotel, Port Adelaide, 1893
Port Hotel, Port Adelaide, 1893 by State Library of South Australia
Gall, Ernest, photographer
The Port Hotel is the building on the extreme right of this photograph.
Established in 1840 at 25 North Parade, between Nelson Street and Commercial Road. John Whallin was the licensee from 1888 to 1896. The hotel traded until May 1951.
On back of photograph is written: ‘Port Adelaide / December 25, 1893 / Looking at North Parade and Queen’s Wharf / Customs House on left / The ‘Royal Tar’ at the wharf / About to make her second voyage to Montevideo with ‘New Australian’ people / Sailed January 1st, 1894′.
The ‘Royal Tar’ carried settlers from Australia to Paraguay to form a utopian socialist colony. It was a three-masted barque of 598 tons, built by John Campbell Stuart on the banks of the Nambucca River, New South Wales, and was the largest colonial-built ship up to the end of the 19th century.
Visit the State Library of South Australia to view more photos of South Australia.