Looking Death in the Eye:
An Irishman and Frenchwoman have been rescued after their yacht’s rudder broke, leaving them stranded in the rough Tasman Sea. The pair were sailing from New Zealand to Australia when the rudder broke in heavy seas on Saturday, March 4.
Waves of up to 20ft capsized the 40ft yacht several times before they activated an emergency beacon on Tuesday. They were about 230 miles east of Sydney. Nick Dwyer, 55, said he and partner Barbara Heftman, 44, talked about the possibility they might not survive their ordeal.
“Every wave that hit you, we’re wondering: is this the one that’s going to take you out? We weren’t at all confident of coming through that and we were looking death in …
Full Article: Scuttlebutt Sailing News – Looking Death in the Eye, Editor
VIDEO: Winning the Vendée Globe:
Relive the highlights of the Vendée Globe victory of Armel Le Cléac’h and Banque Populaire VIII.
Final Results (Top 10 of 29)
1. Banque Populaire VIII, Armel Le Cléac’h (FRA), Finished, 74d 03h 35m 46s (1/19/17)
2. Hugo Boss, Alex Thomson (GBR), Finished, 74d 19h 35m 15s (1/20/17)
3. Maître CoQ, Jérémie Beyou (FRA), Finished, 78d 06h 38m 40s (1/23/17)
4. StMichel-Virbac, Jean-Pierre Dick (FRA), Finished, 80d 01h 45m 45s (1/25/17)
5. Queguiner – Leucemie Espoir, Yann Elies, (FRA), Finished, 80d 03h 11m 09s (1/25/17)
6. Finistère Mer Vent, Jean Le Cam (FRA), Finished, 80d 06h 41m 54s (1/25/17)
7. Bureau Vall?…
Full Article: Scuttlebutt Sailing News – VIDEO: Winning the Vendée Globe, Editor