The Wave, Muscat gave their home fans something to cheer about on the penultimate day of the Extreme Sailing Series™ in Oman, finishing on the podium in seven out of eight races, to reclaim their place at the top of the leaderboard ahead of tomorrow’s final showdown. With just 16 points separating the top four boats, tomorrows racing is sure to keep sports fans around the world on tenterhooks as the world-class fleet battle for honours in Muscat.
“We were consistent today as opposed to yesterday. We had solid starts, good decision-making and generally it was a great day. Yesterday we learnt a lot – we will bank that to avoid the same mistakes”, explained tactician and two-time British Olympic gold medallist, Sarah Ayton on the dock after racing: “I think tomorrow it will come down to the very last race so we will take it one at a time, try to maximize the points and I am sure it will be a great final showdown.”
The pressure has now shifted to Danish SAP Extreme Sailing Team who, despite keeping their averages up all day, relinquished their hold at the top of the leaderboard. A consistent score line by the Austrian Red Bull Sailing Team including three race wins added an important 66 points to their tally, and the team are now up to third place. And just shy of the podium by two points, Oman Air, with one of the UK’s top 49er sailors Stevie Morrison in the driving seat, are poised and ready to pounce – with a 30 point buffer over the chasing pack.
With the points so tight at the top and conditions set to get light and shifty, the Extreme Sailing Series Act 2 Muscat could still be won or lost in a race. Tune in and watch the racing live: www.extremesailingseries.com/live.
Extreme Sailing Series™ Act 2 Muscat standings after Day 3, 22 races (13.03.15)
- The Wave, Muscat (OMA) Leigh McMillan, Sarah Ayton, Pete Greenhalgh, Ed Smyth, Nasser Al Mashari 176 points.
- SAP Extreme Sailing Team (DEN) Jes Gram-Hansen, Rasmus Køstner, Thierry Douillard, Mads Emil Stephensen, Brad Farrand 169 points.
- Red Bull Sailing Team (AUT) Hans Peter Steinacher, Jason Waterhouse, Adam Piggott,Shaun Mason, Stewart Dodson 162 points.
- Oman Air (OMA) Stevie Morrison, Nic Asher, Ted Hackney, Ed Powys, Ali Al Balashi 160 points.
- Team Turx powered by Kaya Ropes (TUR) Mitch Booth, Edhem Dirvana, Selim Kak??, Diogo Cayolla, Matteo Auguadro 128 points.
- GAC Pindar (GBR) Seve Jarvin, Ian Williams, Marcus Ashley-Jones, Tyson Lamond, James Wierzbowski 121 points.
- Lino Sonego Team Italia (ITA) Lorenzo Bressani, Enrico Zennaro, Gabriele Olivo, Tom Buggy, Stefano Ciampalini 116 points.
- Gazprom Team Russia (RUS) Igor Lisovenko, Phil Robertson, Garth Ellingham, Alexander Bozhko, Aleksey Kulakov 100 points.