Falls of Clyde
Falls of Clyde by cliff1066™
Ex-name(s): Not Applicable
IMO: Not Applicable
MMSI number: Not Applicable
Date delivered: December 12, 1878
Builder (where built): Russell and Company, Inverclyde, Scotland
Port of Registry: Honolulu HI
Type of vessel: Clipper Ship
Type of hull:
Length Over All (LOA): 85.3 M
Extreme breadth (Beam): 12.2 M
Net Tonnage: 1741
Speed recorded (Max / Average): / knots
Owner: Friends of the Falls of Clyde
Operator: On display at the Hawaii Maritime Center, Pier 7, Honolulu, Hawaii.
Falls of Clyde is the only surviving iron-hulled, four-masted full rigged ship, and the only surviving sail-driven oil tanker in the world. She is presently a museum ship in Honolulu, Hawaii. In 1973 she was entered into the National Register of Historic Places. In 1989 the Secretary of the Interior designated the Falls of Clyde a National Historic Landmark—one of only thirty-three in the state of Hawaii.
She was built in 1878 by Russell and Company in Port Glasgow, Inverclyde, Scotland, launched as the first of eight iron-hulled four-masted ships built for Wright and Breakenridge’s Falls Line.