A Volvo Ocean Race tagged image from photographer – infomatique as published on Flickr.
GALWAY HARBOUR AREA [GALWAY PORT]-119634
GALWAY HARBOUR AREA [GALWAY PORT]-119634 by infomatique
Brief History through the Centuries
10th century in 1124 Turlough O’ Connor, King of Connacht erected his castle to create a strategic frontier fort possibly supplanting an existing small fishing village.
13th century the Anglo-Norman invasion of Connacht when Richard de Burgo finally laid claim to the fort in 1235 and developed a centre of trade at this important river crossing. There is evidence of a strong sea trade developing by the middle of the 13th century.
14th century with links to France, Flanders and Italy strengthened Galway’s status as a big commercial port in Ireland and in 1380 Richard II gave permission to Iberian and Galway merchants to inter-trade.
15th century Galway was licensed as one of the four ports in Ireland along with Dublin,Cork and Waterford and developed lucrative trading links with European ports St. Malo, Dieppe, Lisbon, Seville and further afield to the West Indies and Newfoundland. Imports were wine, iron, lead, spices and silks, exports were wool, fish, hides, tallow and general provisions.
16th century saw the apex of Galway’s greatness as a maritime port but lead to a period of decline after the Cromwellian and Williamite wars reflecting the ebb and flow of the city’s economic fortunes from then on.
18th century trade revived somewhat with a new dock for shipping at the old mud dock and the Long Walk by Edward Eyre.
19th century the city experienced its greatest expansion with the development of the town as we know it today, streets, merchant houses, church’s, the university and Court House fuelled by water powered industries following the development of a new dock in 1842 and the opening of the canal system in 1852. 1880 saw the advent of scheduled sailings of large cruise vessels and Dún Aengus Dock was developed in 1882.
20th century 1927 and 1933 the transatlantic liner trade was re-established in and 100 ships had called to the port. That trade ceased in the 1950’s
1964 saw the deepening and development of the Commercial Dock
1994 saw the opening of the Enterprise Park and access bridge on reclaimed lands south east of the harbour.
21st century 2009 saw the relocation of the oil farm to the Enterprise Park. 2009 also saw the Port host a stopover leg of the Volvo Ocean Race. 2010 Planning Application to Redevelop the Port to future proof its economic development.