Saving the Planet One Beer at a Time:
We are experiencing an evolution of improving environmental practices. However, with convenience and cost as obstacles, the challenge is to turn these practices into habits. No surprise our favorite habit involves beer at the bar. It has to be a local draft. No containers. Minimal delivery. Zero sacrifice.
But what about the beer you buy from the store? The plastic six-pack rings are a death sentence for birds and sea life. But addressing this issue is Saltwater Brewery in Florida, a craft beer company that has created edible six-pack rings.
The rings are created from beer by-products during the brewing process such as barley an…
Full Article: Scuttlebutt Sailing News – Saving the Planet One Beer at a Time, Editor
Disciplinary Decisions in the Sport of Sailing:
Disciplinary decisions within World Sailing are determined by Independent Panels appointed by the Judicial Board. Questions, reports, or comments on disciplinary matters should be sent by email or in writing to the Chief Executive Officer.
Record of Decisions (as of May 23, 2016):
• Pontus Dolfei (SWE): Breach of Anti-Doping Code; Suspension of World Sailing Eligibility for 30 months from 10 November 2014 to 9 May 2017 ( Full Article: Scuttlebutt Sailing News – Disciplinary Decisions in the Sport of Sailing, Editor
These days you can’t open a newspaper or turn on the news without seeing the latest doom and gloom predictions about the state of the global environment. As a result of being told on a daily basis that many UK counties will soon be underwater due to melting ice caps, or one third of the planet will be desert by the year 2100, everywhere we look we see ways of reducing our carbon footprint by buying greener cars, turning off our TV instead of leaving it on standby, or using energy saving light bulbs.
Recycling is something we should all be doing, and not just our daily rubbish or old clothes. Every time I watch TV at the moment, I notice the Envirofone advert, which tells me that my old mobile phones are worth cash, and I could potentially earn hundreds of pounds by sending them in. Even damaged or broken phones are accepted, and yet most of my friends have old phones boxed up in cupboards or in their loft just sitting there doing nothing, something I am definitely guilty of myself.
So the government are very keen for us to save the planet anyway we can, and yet they are blind to a huge waste of paper every year, being produced by one of the biggest industries in the UK. Millions of mobile phones are sold each year in the UK, and globally the figure is expected to be 1 billion by the end of the decade. Each one of these phones contains a manual, consisting of pages and pages of information, most of which will never be read.
Statistics show that over 60% of people don’t even bother to open the manual as they have no faith in them, believing them to be poorly written and unnecessarily complicated. So 60% is wasted straight away, and of the other 40%, many get frustrated and give up, so the manual becomes nothing more than a waste of paper, and an easily avoidable contributor to the global environment problems.
There are solutions available of course. All the manufacturers now have the manuals available to download on their websites, which is fine, but they aren’t written any differently, still contain the same overly complicated information, and still aren’t used enough to warrant the manufacturers stopping the printing of a manual in every box.
This is where The Human Manual comes in. Not only can it easily replace the written manual, saving countless trees every year, but it can do so successfully. No downloading is required to watch the focused video tutorials, and you can watch a video on the subject you require help on, rather than having to read through lots of useless information to find the relevant bits. We like to call this – the green way to learn about your mobile phone.